Wednesday 9 November 2016

Under the Shadow

Saw this at the cinema this is a thriller Iranian film. At least I was under the misconception it was a drama thriller when I went to see it - having heard a description of it from I don't know where and not seeing the poster. Look at the poster and guess the genre!





I'm glad I didn't know it was a horror film before going in to see it for two reasons. One - if I knew it was a horror film, because I get freaked out so easily, I wouldn't have gone to see it which would have been a shame. I will be sleeping with the lights on for some time now I think though. Two because it made the growing insidious horror seamlessly blend into the film from it's drama start.

Don't fear if you know nothing of 1980s Iran and the war with Iraq or the Cultural Revolution on 1979, what you need to know is included. The war and the bombings give a heavy background to a building tension in Shideh's life as slowly supernatural happenings add to her troubles. Shideh is dealing with mother/daughter issues both as a mother and a daughter. Meanwhile something is trying to turn her daughter against her. As her husband is drafted and she is home alone the camera work of the film really show the growing blur between dream and reality.

Though not what I would call a feminist film it does give a female perspective on Iran at that time which is interesting and for me uncomfortable. If you run out of your home terrified with your child in your arms, obviously without even time to put on your shoes, would the police stop you and instead of offering help arrest you. Arrest you for immodest dress and threaten to whip you.



Highly recommend it. 5/5. Had me jumping at a toaster popping.

No comments:

Post a Comment